Housing Focused Case Manager
Location: St. Louis, MO 63101
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Assists individuals exiting homelessness and entering housing with obtaining and retaining permanent housing and financial stability. All activities with clients are consistent with their housing and other goals. Engages clients and establishes trusting, collaborative relationships directed toward achieving client goals. Assist with identifying and overcoming social, supportive, educational and personal barriers to accessing and maintaining housing. Provides direct referrals for community resources and avenues for partnerships with natural supports.
• Assists clients with creating short and long term housing and financial stability goals utilizing their strengths and preferences as a foundation on which to build goals.
• Develops a housing stability plan with all clients. Plan will include input from other treatment providers, family members and community supports as applicable. Updates plan bi-weekly at minimum.
• With the client’s permission, provides education and support to family members about work and gathers input about skills, interests, strengths, etc. of the client and ideas for establishing a system of support.
• Assists clients with financial stability, including but not limited to obtaining employment, and/or government benefits.
• Provides outreach services as necessary to client when they miss appointments or appear to disengage in services. Use a variety of methods to discover interference with housing stability.
• Creates budget plan with all clients, updating plan when housing as necessary due to changes in income and/or expenses.
• Reviews and/or prepares check requests and gathers supporting documentation for client support services.
• Makes in-home visits to observe indicators of the client’s progress, assess risk and coach clients in learning the skills for problem solving, crisis planning and long range planning.
• Provides retention follow ups with clients for 6 months after program exit.
• Make appropriate referrals to SPC programs and community service providers as needed. Utilize and coordinate housing efforts with case managers and other staff at St. Patrick Center and in the community.
• Other duties as assigned.
Data Entry and Tracking
• Maintains detailed records of client services/expenditures and closely monitors expenditures to prevent over or under spending of funds.
• Maintains and updates all required documentation in client paper and electronic files. Files and completes daily paperwork tasks as needed.
• Accurately enters all client activities and provided services in ECM and HMIS client tracking systems within 1 business day of activity or service.
• Complies with HIPAA regulations.
St. Patrick Center and Community Relations
• Fosters strong working relationships with community based organizations and partner agencies. Provides consistent communication with other organizations and partner agencies to ensure coordination of services. Maintains database of current and community partners.
• Participates in team meetings and communicates individually with team members between meetings in order to coordinate services and generate ideas to help clients achieve their housing goals.
• 85% of those served exit program positively, with permanent housing stability.
• 60% of those served increase their total income
• 50% of those served increase their earned income
• Maintains database of current and potential community partners, securing a minimum of 4 new contacts per month
DIRECT REPORTS: None
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in human services, counseling, social work or related field
• Prior experience working with socially/economically disadvantaged persons and assisting with housing placement and landlord development activities preferred
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and data entry experience
• Working knowledge of landlord-tenant laws and rights
• Working knowledge of Motivational Interviewing
• Reliable transportation required
SKILLS AND ATTITUDES REQUIRED:
• Works ethically with integrity; treats people with dignity and respect; maintains confidential information; ability to work with a diverse population, to collaborate with colleagues, volunteers, and community providers while demonstrating the philosophy and values of St. Patrick Center.
• Exhibits excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to set strong personal boundaries. Keeps Home Again team and others adequately informed regarding client relations. Values and contributes to team building.
• Reports to the Manager of Employment Services; works with all staff at St. Patrick Center; assists clients with housing and financial stability; works with landlords, networks and establishes working relationships with federal, state and local agencies.